- Start tomato + pepper seeds indoors. Try direct seeding radish, beet, parsley, arugula, cilantro, spinach, kale, and carrots in your bed. Transplant cool-season seedlings now.
- Weed, add cardboard and woodchip layer on your raised bed pathways
- Remove plants with any powdery mildew **Don’t add these to the compost!
- Consider stepping up and joining a team or committee – we need your skills to build a better garden community
- Think about adding annual flowers in between your veggies to attract beneficial insects for good pollination and pest management
Second Saturday Workdays
Our next workday will be:
Saturday, March 13, 2021
Email or contact your Row Leader if you have questions about garden tasks, volunteer hours, or general bed maintenance issues.
Second Saturday Task List
- Weed Your Row Area All common pathways and perimeter gardens – concentrate on your row
- Gazebo weed beds and under bench, leave poppies, yarrow, borage, etc. Ask your row leader for info.
- Citrus Food Forest Remove grass from pathways in and around the citrus trees
- Organise compost pile Rake up materials, separate large branches. Chipping team: try to chip every week
- Peace Garden weed the pathway around the herb garden
- Flip compost bins check dates, flip bins with dates more than 3 days old
- Empty Trash Bins into the large blue skip bin in the parking lot
- Clean CSG gazebo use Sunfrog cleaner on structure, work around vines
- Front Gate Fence Weed along the fence line in front of the inner succulent garden
- Greenhouses Remove grass from pathways. Pick up pruned grapevine add to the compost area
- Charles Street Fence weed outside perimeter bed of grass and oxalis / Rake up leaves, add to compost
Covid-19 Safety Information
For current updates on the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) and community mandated orders please visit the Santa Clara Public Health website. Here is the link to their website:
- DO NOT visit the garden if you are experiencing any symptoms or if you are ill and always check each week and adhere to any changes to the public mandates
- Always wear a mask to protect yourself and others. Guidance on Face Coverings
- Please respect the 6 ft social distancing rule when encountering other fellow gardeners
- Avoid loitering or gathering around our access gates so gardeners can come and go and maintain social distancing protocol.
- Use gloves and hand sanitizer if using common tools and locks
- Dispose of PPE [gloves and masks] thoughtfully. Bring a small trash bag with you if you think you will discard these on exiting the garden, and take them out with you.
- Avoid unnecessary gatherings and continue to garden individually
LOG YOUR SERVICE HOURS
View Service Hours Log
Check how many hours you have logged previously. You can log new service hours on the form above.
As a registered CSG gardener, you must fulfill and log 15 x hours of service by August 31st, per your annual CSG agreement. It’s very easy and helps keep our lovely community garden maintained and looking good! You can check with your Row Leader what community jobs are on the garden list OR there is a monthly Task List posted on the garden kiosk noticeboard near the main gate. So if you need to contribute service hours outside of work days, you can easily log an hour or two each month.
Gardeners Google Group
All Gardeners are required to be subscribed to the CSG Google Group. This is our primary way to send out regular updates with essential garden information, including hints + tips, event announcements, and day-to-day changes or notifications. It’s also a great way to stay in touch with your fellow gardeners and connect with your local community.
This is a private group and you should be automatically subscribed on becoming a member.
LOGIN HERE to open Google Groups Login Page
*New 'Garden Hose Guide'
Agreements and Documents
- GARDEN BED AGREEMENT: 2020-2021 For registered garden bed owners only.
- VOLUNTEER LIABILITY WAIVER For all volunteers: download a copy of our waiver, sign and return to CSG.
- THE GROUP GARDEN Information on how to join the Group Garden while you wait for an individual garden bed.
- GARDEN HOSE GUIDE read this before buying a new hose for your plot!
- AUTOMATIC WATERING SYSTEM Information on the correct pieces and configuration of your automatic watering system
- UNATTENDED WATERING AGREEMENT Complete this form to get approved for your already installed automatic watering system
Second Saturdays + Summer Evenings Calendar | 2020 - 2021
Below are the scheduled dates for each row group to lead their Second Saturday workdays.
10 AM – 12 PM
MON SEP 19 ALL HANDS ZOOM MEETING
SAT OCT 10 Group Garden, Orange + Plum
SAT NOV 14 Apricot and Blackberry
SAT DEC 12 Cherry, Fig + Hi-Rise
SAT JAN 09 Lemon and Mulberry
SAT FEB 13 Group Garden, Orange + Plum
SAT MAR 13 Apricot and Blackberry
SAT APR 10 ALL HANDS MEETING
SAT MAY 08 Cherry, Fig + Hi-Rise
SAT JUN 12 Lemon and Mulberry
SAT JUL 10 Group Garden, Orange + Plum
SAT AUG 14 Apricot and Blackberry
MON AUG 31 DEADLINE to complete service hours for 2019/2020 agreement
SAT SEP 11 ALL HANDS MEETING
- Summer Evening Work Days schedule TBD
VOLUNTEER HOURS GOAL CHART:
|Yearly Quarter||Service Hrs Goal||Annual Tally|
|SEP 1 – NOV 31||3hrs, 45 min||3hrs, 45 min|
|DEC 1 – FEB 31||3hrs, 45 min||7hrs, 30 min|
|MAR 1 – MAY 31||3hrs, 45 min||11 hrs, 15 min|
|JUN 1 – AUG 31||3hrs, 45 min||15 hrs|
- All CSG gardeners are welcome to attend on any workday ~ you can join in even if your row isn’t scheduled for that date.
- Once you’ve attended, please be sure to fill out the LOG YOUR SERVICE HOURS online form (on this page) and log your hours in decimal format.
- EG: if you work for 30 mins, enter it as 0.5 hrs. If you work for 1 hour and 25 mins, enter it as 1.5 hrs
There is a monthly Task List that is made available and posted, so if you’d like to contribute service hours outside of workdays, you can easily log an hour or two each month.