- Sheet mulch the pathway around your bed by adding a layer of cardboard and covering with a 2″ layer of woodchips
- You can start planting your warm season crops this month, protect new seedlings from pests by gently covering until they get established
- Check the irrigation systemin your bed: add tape to your connectors if you have a leak, repair leaking drip irrigation, replace an aging hose and make sure you have a nozzle or wand installed on it.
- Weed, weed, weed your pathways! Don’t allow any weeds or grass to go to seed.
- Consider signing up here to JOIN A GARDEN TEAM – we need your skills to build a better garden community, it’s a great way to get inspired to do your service hours.
Second Saturday Workdays
Our next workday will be:
Saturday, Jun 12, 2021
Community Garden Workday
10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Email or contact your Row Leader if you have questions about garden tasks, volunteer hours, or general bed maintenance issues.
Public vounteers are very welcome [face masks must continue to be worn] please register first with the Garden Coordinators: Register Here
Second Saturday Task List
Weeding Remove grass + weeds in the perimeter bed in front of Plum + Mulberry
Empty Trash Bins into the blue skip bin in the parking lot.
Donation Beds weed grass in pathways and beds
Organise compost area Rake up materials, cut sm branches off large branches, weed the area
Move items to shipping container Workday Task Only
Move leaves from near picnic benches to compost area
Weeding Greenhouse area. Remove any grass + weeds going to seed. Shake off soil and gravel first
Peace Garden sheet mulch pathways
Flip compost bins check dates, flip bins with dates more than 3 days old
Clean CSG pergola use Sunfrog cleaner, work around vines.
Welcome Garden weed along front gate fence line and succulent garden
Remove bush next to wheelbarrows at back gate Workday task only
Like or Follow Us on Social Media
Covid-19 Safety Information
For current updates on the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) and community mandated orders please visit the Santa Clara Public Health website. Here is the link to their website:
- DO NOT visit the garden if you are experiencing any symptoms or if you are ill and always check each week and adhere to any changes to the public mandates
- Always wear a mask to protect yourself and others. Guidance on Face Coverings
- Please respect the 6 ft social distancing rule when encountering other fellow gardeners
- Avoid loitering or gathering around our access gates so gardeners can come and go and maintain social distancing protocol.
- Use gloves and hand sanitizer if using common tools and locks
- Dispose of PPE [gloves and masks] thoughtfully. Bring a small trash bag with you if you think you will discard these on exiting the garden, and take them out with you.
- Avoid unnecessary gatherings and continue to garden individually
Second Saturday Workdays Schedule | 2020 - 2021
SECOND SATURDAYS ANNUAL SCHEDULE
Below are the scheduled dates for each row group to lead their Second Saturday workdays. Workdays operate between 10 AM – 12 PM
|MON SEP 19||ALL HANDS MEETING – ZOOM|
|SAT OCT 10||Group Garden, Orange + Plum|
|SAT NOV 14||Apricot + Blackberry|
|SAT DEC 12||Cherry, Fig + Hi-Rise|
|SAT JAN 09||Lemon and Mulberry|
|SAT FEB 13||Group Garden, Orange + Plum|
|SAT MAR 13||Apricot and Blackberry|
|SAT APR 10||ALL HANDS WORKDAY + MEETING|
|SAT MAY 08||Cherry, Fig + Hi-Rise|
|SAT JUN 12||Lemon and Mulberry|
|SAT JUL 10||Group Garden, Orange + Plum|
|SAT AUG 14||Apricot and Blackberry|
|MON AUG 31||Complete service hours for 2020 / 2021|
|SAT SEP 11||ALL HANDS WORKDAY + MEETING 2021 / 2022|
VOLUNTEER HOURS GOAL CHART
Aim to complete your hours each month.
|Yearly Quarter||Quarter Hrs Goal||Annual Tally|
|SEP 1 – NOV 31||3 hr, 45 min||3 hr, 45 min|
|DEC 1 – FEB 31||3 hr, 45 min||7 hr, 30 min|
|MAR 1 – MAY 31||3 hr, 45 min||11 hr, 15 min|
|JUN 1 – AUG 31||3 hr, 45 min||15 hours|
- All CSG gardeners are welcome to attend on any workday ~ you can join in even if your row isn’t scheduled for that date.
- Once you’ve attended, please be sure to fill out the LOG YOUR VOLUNTEER HOURS online form (below) and log your hours in decimal format, numbers only:
- EG: if you work for 30 mins, enter it as 0.5 If you work for 1 hour and 15 mins, enter it as 1.25
There is a monthly Task List that is made available and posted, so if you’d like to contribute service hours outside of workdays, you can easily log an hour or two each month.
Log your Volunteer Hours
View Volunteer Hours Log
Check how many hours you have logged previously. You can log new service hours on the form above.
As a registered CSG gardener, you must fulfill and log 15 x hours of service by August 31st each year, per your Gardener’s Agreement. It’s very easy to achieve and helps keep our lovely community garden maintained and looking good.
You can check with your Row Leader what needs doing near your Row OR there is a monthly Task List posted here and on the garden kiosk noticeboard near the main gate. So if you need to contribute service hours outside of workdays, you can easily log an hour or two each month.
Join a Garden Team
CSG Garden Teams – 2021
|Garden Team||Team Name||Status||Project Overview|
|Childrens Garden||Kids Gang||JOIN TEAM||Fix signs, build new tipi, repair dig zone, build bed covers, add lemon tree|
|Vermicomposting||Worm Wranglers||TEAM FULL||Harvest castings in April, build new stand/structure, new signage|
|Plant Sales + Greenhouses||JOIN TEAM||Plant Sale: seeding, watering, up-potting|
|Chicken Coop||Chicken Tenders||TEAM FULL||New hen photos, update front signs, prepare summer budget|
|Raised Bed Repairs||JOIN TEAM||Repair current damaged beds|
|Irrigation||JOIN TEAM||ID all local main shut-offs, upgrade perimeter drip lines, repair water tanks|
|Pest Management||Critter Crew||JOIN TEAM||Continuing from Winter schedule ….|
|Community Composting||Compost Crew||JOIN TEAM||Flip/wet bins weekly, run chipper weekly, manage pile, build wire corals|
|Garden Kiosk / Noticeboard||JOIN TEAM||Team to help update each month, clean cobwebs, replace fabric.|
|Online / Social Media||JOIN TEAM||Recruit content crew, make google photos shared folder,|
|Garden Signage + Safety||JOIN TEAM||New signs: GG, Gate, Compost, plant sale poster, shed murals|
|Publicity + Events||JOIN TEAM||**EVENTS ARE TEMPORARILY CLOSED|
|Education + Training||JOIN TEAM||CSG Youtube|
|Community Food Gardens|
|Fruit Trees, Berries + Vines||The Pruners||TEAM FULL||compost trees + vines, design summer irrigation + harvest schedule|
|Food Forest||Donation Drive||TEAM FULL||Prepping for Spring / Summer crops soon|
|Citrus Grove||JOIN TEAM||Prune early spring, compost all citrus|
|Seed Garden||Donation Drive||JOIN TEAM||Prep left side for tomatoes, add compost, asses border/fence|
|Plum 3||Donation Drive||JOIN TEAM||Rebuild bed, weed|
|Plum 9||Donation Drive||JOIN TEAM||Weed bed and pathways, harvest for March|
|Apricot 2||Donation Drive||JOIN TEAM||Weed bed and pathways, harvest for March|
|Community Ornamental Gardens|
|Rose Garden||The Rosies||TEAM FULL||Plant new memorial rose, fertilize, check soaker hose|
|South Perimeter Garden||The Bloomers||JOIN TEAM||Detail weed, recruit team members, prune back for Spring|
|Peace Herb Garden||JOIN TEAM||Weed border/paths, add compost/manure, repair drip irg. prune dead plants|
|Patio Container Garden||TEAM FULL||Plant Gaura in large blue pot,|
|Welcome Gardens||JOIN TEAM||Refresh all pots, add flowers, new welcome sign,|
|Pollinator Patch||JOIN TEAM||Weed, add compost + mature leaf mulch, prep new seedlings, add plant ID|
|Honour Garden||COMING SOON||Add rock borders, add mulch, woodchip pathways, ID all memorials|
|The Pergola||JOIN TEAM||Add vine to MG Corner, weed beds, clean + oil structure, add flower seeds|
Gardeners Google Group
All Gardeners are required to be subscribed to the CSG Google Group. This is our primary way to send out regular updates with essential garden information, including hints + tips, event announcements, and day-to-day changes or notifications. It’s also a great way to stay in touch with your fellow gardeners and connect with your local community.
This is a private group and you should be automatically subscribed on becoming a member.
LOGIN HERE to open Google Groups Login Page
Agreements and Documents
- GARDEN BED AGREEMENT: 2020-2021 For registered garden bed owners only.
- VOLUNTEER LIABILITY WAIVER For all volunteers: download a copy of our waiver, sign and return to CSG.
- THE GROUP GARDEN Information on how to join the Group Garden while you wait for an individual garden bed.
- GARDEN HOSE GUIDE read this before buying a new hose for your plot!
- AUTOMATIC WATERING SYSTEM Information on the correct pieces and configuration of your automatic watering system
- UNATTENDED WATERING AGREEMENT Complete this form to get approved for your already installed automatic watering system